Monday, February 23, 2009

The Middle Cushion
















Three-quarters of Apt. 304 were in bed by 11:30.
And I, the lone remnant on the couch.
Middle cushion.
It's Katie's favorite,
and last night it did something for me too.

I pondered the recent words of the prophet of God.
I wrote and wrote and wrote.
I read the writings of people I admire.
Liberation found me.
The clenched muscles in my back released their grip for the first time in weeks.
Finally I was at peace.

There's a blog I follow.
I returned last night, remaining intrigued.
I have to turn her playlist off,
or else my insides ache.
Music has such a way of rushing memories back to consciousness.
I’ve never met this girl.
I’ve seen her in person once and I almost had a fit.
After German.
Downstairs JKB.
I didn’t like the feeling I got about her.

I realized tonight though, that I have learned a lot from her writing.
From who she is.
I admire her for the freeness with which she makes words flow.
She has creativity and cleverness that I marvel at.
She’s further along in this quest for becoming a sharp writer—
one who makes you think from their thoughts.

I wonder if I’ll ever get to meet her,
face to face.
I hope that I will remember this peaceful feeling I have right now—
that I’ll be able to embrace her
and tell her of my admiration.
I hope I won’t chicken out.

I read and wrote,
read and wrote,
'til half past one.
I remembered something about Claire Sorensen:
She needs alone time.
There's a liberation only solitude can provide.

I’m grateful for the ability to read and write,
to think clearly,
to type faster than I handwrite,
to still turn to handwriting.

I love written language.
It is clearer to me than the spoken.
I can pick it apart,
dissect its pieces,
evoking further contemplation.

I decided something today.
I'm going to make a major change.
No, literally,
change my major:
English,
emphasis Editing,
German minor.

I love it and you can't stop me.

7 comments:

Katie said...

This is a good post, it was well worth the wait.

I can imagine the sky.

kendra and jeffrey said...

This is why you will be a great English major.

love.

Aimee said...

was it her blog that you were reading? i'm glad you were able to come to peace with everything.

also. what an exciting decision. should i minor in german too?

liebe.

kaylie jean. said...

:)

Anonymous said...

happy.

i want to read this blog.
i love to blog stalk people.

Sarah Stout said...

How did you find the blog of the girl you've only met once?

brooke said...

ahhhhhhhhh YES!!!! It's the greatest feeling in the world, finally knowing/feeling good about what you're going to do! As you already know from my manifestation of freakish laughing/crying for (literally)hours. I'm so happy!!!!