Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Dry-eyed and blinking.

The oscillating fan is blowing at my dry eyes.
Middle cushion after a night of abdomen laughing, acoustic exploding, grass-art making, blanket sitting, slurpee guzzling, Scattergories dominating.
Ich liebe Sommer.
I am alive with the memories of mein Wien--how in the world can it almost be fall? Almost be fall and I'm staying put in Provo, Utah, US of A. Housing tasks were slow today, so I took a trip instead: up and down Mariahilfer Straße, planted myself in an armchair smack dab in the middle of that giant Starbucks window, and just watched the people pass. I stopped at Billa to get some Ja! Natürlich Joghurt (the best yogurt EVER: cherry with poppyseed or peach with cinnamon) and stir in some Müsli of the same brand. Mmmm...the good stuff. I raced down the stairs beneath the big purple sign: U2 Museumsquartier, and ended up at Karlsplatz. Somehow even the druggies with their blue lips were comforting. I blended in with my black boots and bunchy scarf, the shoulder bag I bartered with a Turk for. And then, back to number 24 where Eva was wheeling in her cart of yellow potatoes, roast and cherry cake. Triple servings of everything! German small talk, then a musical performance on the grand covered in picture frames and tokens from around the world. Back to our room, table in the center. The blip of someone online shouts out--its echo is eery to me. Green circle holding a white checkmark. There he is in his white polo, chiseled jaw looking to the side: answer, ignore; answer, ignore. Highlight of my life and I wouldn't change it. I just want to go do it all a second time and this time, without the longing. I want that chance--I will give myself this chance.












And now, I am the newest follower of this inspiration of a blog:

http://zusterfritz.blogspot.com/
Hello, new role model. Jillie Claire is now Zuster Fritz, rockin the sweater vests and high-waisted skirts. What a babe!
We are watching your example, dear. Show those Dutch and Belgian people how to find pure joy in the Gospel. I am praying for you!

3 comments:

Sarah Stout said...

Wonderful, Claire. Wonderful. Enjoy the memories and be grateful for the opportunities. I also love JA!; however, my relatives' jogurt is the best. If you ever are in lower bavaria, eat Berchtesgadener Land Jogurt. It's amazing!

Aimee said...

oh man oh man oh man. this almost made me cry bringing back these lovely memories

Aimee said...

also. when i wrote THAT comment (above) i hadn't read your comment on mine yet. and we both wrote "oh man" 3x. we're meant to be great friends miss claire. lets buy a house on the danube, or in hallstatt and travel into vienna every couple weeks for the wonderful shopping on mariahilferstrasse and the wonderful food.

i NEED to go back some day.