Sunday. Best day ever. I’ve really needed a day like this, especially since our group didn’t attend LDS church last week. We went to a Catholic mass in an Alpen village called Dorfgastein, which was eye-opening and exciting in itself, but it’s no Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
Thankfully, the scriptures and the gift of prayer have kept the Spirit with me, but there’s just something about entering a dedicated church building. The feeling is like nothing else. I really notice a void in my life if my spiritual bucket isn’t re-filled every Sunday.
Note to self: If ever you are feeling down, please remember to turn on church music. It will make you happy, I promise. Here are some of your favorites, if you ever forget:
-
“He Is Born” Vocal Point, Standing Room Only
-
“Where You Stand” Jenny Phillips, Daughter of a King
-
“These Are The Days” Jenny Frogley, Whatever It Takes
-
“Be Still My Soul” Vocal Point, Standing Room Only
-
“Come, Come Ye Saints” Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Come Come Ye Saints
-
“Praise The Man” Jenny Frogley, EFY 2005: A More Excellent Way
-
“As Sisters in Zion/We’ll Bring the World His Truth” Youth Combined Choir
-
“Joseph Smith’s First Prayer” Paul Cardall, Hymns Vol. I
-
“Renaissance Hymn” Jon Schmidt, Hymns Without Words
-
“Lead, Kindly Light” Lex de Azevedo, Variations of a Sacred Theme
-
“Consider The Lilies” Mormon Tabernacle Choir, Consider the Lilies
-
“Come, Thou Fount of Every Blessing” BYU Combined Choirs & Orchestra, Songs of Thanksgiving
Später…
I just returned home from watching half of the 174th Semi-Annual General Conference for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. My roommate Kristen and I traveled about 30 minutes via U-Bahn and our feet to the Vienna Stake Center. We were greeted by seriously 30 missionaries, all of whom serve in this gigantic city. I will forever be in love with missionaries. They are the coolest people in the world.
We watched the Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning sessions of conference auf Englisch! I can’t tell you how refreshing it was to listen to our beloved general authorities speak to me in my native language. No mental translation needed for that--only the magnificent gift of the Spirit touching my heart.
Don’t you love when it seems the talks were written just for you? I could practically hear the apostles say, “Claire, it’s time to change your thinking on this. I know your life is hard sometimes, but look at it this way. Look how much happier you’re going to be when you follow this advice I have for you.” Etc. etc.
Joseph B. Wirthlin—His mother’s wise phrase: “Come what may and love it” made me realize not only that I should remember to make the best of every moment, but also that I should remember the counsel my parents have given me over the years, for it has been very sensible indeed. My parents know me better than anyone else on earth and thus give me advice with knowledge of my individual temperament and personality. They did that tonight (webcams are the greatest invention ever). Also beneficial to me were Elder Wirthlin’s steps to overcoming adversity:
1) Learn to laugh and then laugh harder; it will lengthen your life.
2) Seek for the eternal. No one is exempt from sorrow, but having trying experiences helps us sympathize with others when they are struggling.
3) Understand the principle of compensation. The Lord will make everything up to us if we remain faithful to Him.
4) Never be afraid to trust in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. Christ is our partner, our advocate, and our friend.
Jeffrey R. Holland—I was struck to the core with Elder Holland’s discussion about the reality of angelic ministry. Angels have not ceased to help us earthly inhabitants, in fact, they help miracles occur every single day. They really do. Moroni 7:35-37 was especially powerful as he tied it in with an anecdote of a young boy being rescued by his father, and a challenge to the effect of, “Let us all try to be a little more angelic, so that we can perhaps be an angelic figure for someone else in their time of need.” (I can't wait for the Conference Ensign so I can read these talks word for word.) Get outside yourself and strive to ensure the happiness of those around you. Your happiness will follow.
I downloaded the two remaining conference sessions to listen to on my own (thank you iTunes podcast) and will write my further commentary soon. Until then, the Church is true and it is led by a divinely inspired prophet of God. How grateful I am for that knowledge! The Gospel has given me means to find hope in my life and thus remain happy. I cringe at the thought of where I’d be without it. There are so few members of the Church here in Vienna, but those that are here, are so strong and so steadfast. I’m grateful for the chance to be in their midst and learn from their perseverance.
And now, I must sleep. 7:00 am will come early and Kristen and I are going running. Please hold us to that. We’ve tried and failed the past three days. Gute Nacht!

5 comments:
You summed it up so perfectly. I absolutely love you. I so wish that we could have watched it together and that I could just be in your presence, but soon enough! ;)
I'm so glad you found my blog (and I yours). I really appreciated your thoughts on conference and am glad you were able to listen to it auf Englisch! :) I hope that you are having wonderful experiences in Vienna. Live it up while you're there, because you only live once! I wish you well and can't wait to read more!
oh, claire that's so wonderful.
and when I read you saying there's a difference going into a dedicated church building it so different. Through the summer I went to church in school buildings. When, after like 5 months, I went into a church building it was overwhelming! Isn't it wonderful, though, that where ever you are in the world you can find that?
man, that second sentence made no sense.
CLAIRE! I felt the the same way, the spirit is so universal that it can speak to each one of us separately although there is only one thing being said. Thanks for writing down your thoughts :) I think I will follow your example and do the same.
HE LIVES! :)
Post a Comment