Monday, July 6, 2009

Delish.

3:18 pm.
I have been on my lunch break for eighteen minutes. And no, I did not get a break until three o'clock this afternoon--three hours after the intended pause for the midday meal. It's cool though. It made freedom that much more beautiful.
I threw open the glass door and slammed my face with the hot heat. The Vibe told me 103, then 98, then 100 degrees. But I've been locked in an air-conditioned dungeon all day long. The AC was not touched as I flew down Parkway with the windows wide, my arm surfing the wind. Track 2 from the Freedom album: on repeat and turned up to three bars. Mmmm...SUNSHINE.
We're sorry, but Taco Bell's credit card machine isn't working today. Do you have cash?
Uh...I have three bucks. Is that enough for my two tacos?
It was. One hundred degrees of temperature wafted their spicy scent to my nostrils--my splurge for the day. And you KNOW I asked for loads of hot sauce. What would adventure be without Border Sauce to burn your taste buds? Delish.
As the fiery breeze shot through my open windows, I thought of you...all of you. I don't usually include names, but today I'm feeling brave. Or maybe I'm just lacking the will to be "cryptic". Here you go, in the order that I think of them.

Brooke: Who knew the Jonas Brothers would become our Saturday night dance party? The explosions, the singing, the flag waving, the can-can on our stadium bench...the intense power of patriotism--I love that emotions overwhelm you too. I love that we share this.

Jared: Thanks for lovin on Brooke. She likes that and that makes me like you.

Steven: You saved my eye. Thank you for your brave fingers, your Vienna memories and your willingness to teach me guitar. You're still on, ya know.

Madre: I slept through my alarm, because we were up talking so late. I love that. I can't imagine a better Wednesday through Sunday than spending them here with you. Let's stay up late!

Camille: I saw you in the seven year-olds holding an I Love Kevin sign. You would've loved it. I'll take you to one someday. Keep on workin for that plane ride down to Utah.

Katie: Hair Ess. I think your name and I hear Tyler's voice calling you that. And then I say Lisa Marie. And then I laugh out loud. I'm glad that you love to play hard. Thanks for always being my sidekick. Let's play softball!

Kenj: Your lesson rocked yesterday! I see you grow and grow and grow more everyday. Let's kick this Nixon kid into gear!

Wes: You were workin that part yesterday. Thanks for being a good sport when I dunk on you. The pickles weren't bad and we came up with some darn good words. What a Sunday! You make me laugh harder than almost anyone. I'm excited for tomorrow.

Tyler: Take me waterskiing again. Oh yeah...and...you're a cool friend too.

Aim: I wonder if you know what a text from Aimee Garrett does for me. I want to explain it to you some time. For now, let's plan on another talk on your brown suede couch. And then let's go run around. K, deal.

Lyndsi Shae: You better be keeping track of every single SECOND of your weekend. I expect a full report. My mom wants to meet you too.

Beck: I forgot that it's natural for me to shorten your name. Your creativity inspires me. I still love you! Let's play more often.

Kaylie: If I let you know every time I thought of you, you'd be getting texts every seven minutes. YOU are the greatest.

Jordan: I ate some oatmeal this morning. Thanks. You should know that every moment of my life is seized. I am thriving and alive.

Laurie: I'm going to miss you so much. You leaving makes me want to quit my job. Who will I vent to?

Caitlyn: I will vent to you--let me know if that's not okay. I want to dress like you. Thank you for continuing to smile. You keep this office happy!

Jamie: I found your last letter to me the other day and laughed all the way through it. Let's be friends. I'm afraid to ask you, but I think it's coming soon. I hope you'll accept.

Dad: I brag about you every day. Everyone knows of your studliness. You have helped me find the will to do things that seem impossible. Full steam ahead!

Kasia: I want to go to Tonga with you. How do you feel?

Chase: I can tell that your girlfriend rocks! That's fitting, cuz you do too. It made my week to see you the other day.

My head is still swimming with more names, more souls that are close to mine. But lunch break is over. This post may need a Volume II.

5 comments:

kendra and jeffrey said...

Stop it. Taco Bell is my secret obsession.

Also this post is my new secret obsession! ;) Thank you for your inspirational words to me! YEAH!

brooke said...

ohhh i was so thrilllled to see MY name!
that means i am liked, and that means i am pleased. you please me. you like me. i like you. this pleases me.
wow, this post is so, so, so wonderful.

Aimee said...

i was scared my name wouldn't be here since i hardly see you anymore :/ but it was. and it made me grin from ear to ear.

all these other people that i dont know. well, they sound rad. i kind of would love to meet them.

i cant wait for us to have a class together again in the fall. 3 day a week of class probably won't be enough. but this once every 2 weeks definitely isn't.

i LOVE you

Ellen said...

I hope you will feel delish after getting your wisdom teeth out. I am so excited that your mom will be there for you. What a great lady. I am glad that you and Aimee are friends. Delighted that so many others are part of your life, each sounds delish.

kaylie jean. said...

the 7 minute thing? oh yeah, it's mutual.

i miss you, but that's typical, right?

work the taco bell, girl. and the lunch break. you deserve it.

love you.