Tuesday, April 7, 2009

It is well with my soul.

A dreary Monday morning turned bright with sunshine.
A full night's rest.
A myriad of divine advice in my mind still fresh.
It is well with my soul.

Finished work.
An A to cap my preparation.
An easy breath and for the day, classes are finished.
It is well with my soul.

I was honest with my boss.
A sweet Chinese man thanked me.
I have a job through the summer.
It is well with my soul.

A walk home--
es dauerte dreißig Minuten.
I grinned the whole way.
It is well with my soul.

I have a mom, a dad and a sister.
We love each other.
They make me laugh til I cry and my abdomen aches.
It is well with my soul.

A missed interception.
An unanswered call.
The promised hug for later when all is said and done.
It is well with my soul.

Tomato sauce that tastes like ZOOPAs,
Al dente bow ties,
both tucked away in their tupperware containers for later.
It is well with my soul.

The feeling to just stay home tonight.
An important confession.
A bond of trust that continues its strengthening.
It is well with my soul.

Daydreams of twilit evenings
in another place.
So many unexplored crannies and the time to soak them in.
It is well with my soul.

Marching confidently forward--
I know the destination,
no clue how I'll reach it.

And yet,
it is well with my soul.

3 comments:

Sarah Stout said...

Wonderful poem, Claire. I had goose bumps as I read it. I think this is my favorite poem you've written on your blog thus far.

P.S. Did you know April is National Poetry Month? I need to write more poetry again! Thanks for this reminder and encouragement. Your writing inspires me to improve my own.

brooke said...

girl i feel special for you.

Allie said...

oh you make me so happy. i'm so glad we're friends. so so glad.